Sunday, August 14, 2005

Stocking Women, Stalking Men

Cousin Becca blew into town a little while ago. I would have said she flew into town, but I have no idea how she arrived, much less how she left. I don’t even know if her broomstick is still running. I am sure that some of you may have guessed that she just sprouted leathery wings, but that is just a myth. Vamps don’t do that. But I digress.

Anyway, we met at the little cafĂ© we like. And when the waitress arrived, it was the same old Cos. “I’d like a large half calf half low fat latte with a shot of vanilla and a twist.”
“And you Sir?”
“Large Latte.”
She paused, then realized that my taste in coffees was simple, unlike my taste in women. Amusing, for despite Cos being sixteen years younger than I, people seem to think we are together. I guess they mistake the playful family banter for something else.

She began telling me about some of her escapades in P-. I won’t pass them on to you because most of them never ‘happened’. At least not officially. I told her about my friends Fantail, Chemical Girl and an amusing little anecdote about Lacquer, that ended with me getting a whack on the arm.
“I can tell Lacquer is crazy about you.”
“Why do you say that?”
“GW, come on, when a gal gives you a whack, it just means she likes you.”
“We’re just co-workers.”
“Sounds like you have stocked another one.”
“I’m not stalking anyone.”
“I didn’t say stalking, S.t.o.c.k.i.n.g.! Damn, do I have to spell out everything?”
I groaned at the bad pun. “I don’t ‘stock’ women.”
“Oh PLEASE! Of course you do, you just don’t realize it. You stock them just like they stock you.”
“What?”
“Look, we are different. You’re married to a wonderful gal, you have a great life and are happy with it. Everyone knows you are devoted to WG, and that makes you safe. Me, on the other hand; well, I am just too busy having fun. I have a few guys marked down for later if I ever want to settle down, but I don’t work at keeping them in a stable for later riding. Most probably don’t think of me very often.”
“Yes, that’s why you move so often, isn’t it? You exhaust the ‘pool’ and have to move to other pastures.”
“Kinda like that. I also get a rep. and people keep their young boys home, away from my claws that catch.”
Our waitress arrived and carefully set our drinks in front of us,
“But you're not above stalking your prey.” I said as the waitress left.
“Of course not! That’s half the fun. You set things up, opportunities, coincidences, and things happen! The poor guys never know what hit them.”
“So, it’s a game.”
“Yes, but it has it’s dangers, unlike yours.”
“I’m not playing a game.”
”Well, maybe, maybe not. Perhaps in some cases you don’t realize that they are playing a similar game.”
“But nobody is stocking me.”
“I have seen the way…I’ll call her ‘The Needy Nurse’.”
“I know who you mean.”
“She has you stocked. If you were ever single, she’d be at your door soooo fast!”
I shuddered a little.
“So be careful.”
“I never thought of it that way.”
“Well, you’re in a different world than me. Just like OTP, I am always hunting for the next conquest. The next hottie to light my fire. You already have yours, and what you like is a companion. But one who also can light your fire.”
“I never thought of it that way.”
“Well, I know you like to hear my stories, and OTP’s; but your needs are different.”
“I have grown up.”
“Not sure I like what you are implying.”
“Just stating a fact.”
She stuck out her tongue at me.
“Then I am right.”
“Well, just a little” She admitted.
“You have friends out there that simply like you and like being around you.”
“And you have friends that just like being in you.” And I grinned.
The back of her hand caught me hard across my shoulder. “You can be such a pig!”
“But I am right?”
She blushed, just a little. “Yes, but it’s not a bad thing!”
“No. Just different.”
“See? We are so different.”
“Someday, you too will find a companion, probably when and where you aren’t even looking.”
“I suppose, but I’ll never have the half-dozen or so that have put you on their list.”
“And I am not even trying.”
“That’s what I hate about you!”

The waitress came by and as I placed a twenty on the bill, before Cos could.

I thought about her, as I drove home that night and I felt sorry for her. Despite her fun and adventures, she was alone. And even driving home by myself, I am never alone, for my companion is always with me, and I’ll be in her arms soon.

1 comment:

rich said...

huhh? what? who's this you're stalking. tell me.