Sunday, August 21, 2005

Early birds

GW 2, Rats 0

The early bird catches the worm.
But it’s the second rat that gets the cheese!.

I still do not know how the rats are getting under the house. I suspect that they are getting under the deck, and from there, finding a way in. Yes, I know, they wouldn‘t be attracted to our yard if we did not have a vegetable garden. But we so love our fresh, ripe tomatoes, and other stuff.
So we live with it. The Tommy dog is not fast enough to catch them, I guess, and he keeps the cats away. Well, what can you do?

Set traps under the house, to catch the little bastards! And not just one trap, two at least. Well, I did that last month. And last week, while WG was away, I did the nasty job of checking the traps. Good and bad, there were two of the bastards. Dead in the traps. Okay, smart ass, you now have to clean up the mess! At least my arms are long enough to reach through the trap door and scoop the desiccated carcasses into plastic bags. Tie up the bags and carry them out to the trash. Nice to have disposable gloves! Wash up, spray the area with disinfectant and some pesticide, who knows what the creatures carry!

Now the next time I am at the store, I’ll have to get some more traps.

My coworker thanked me for the tomatoes I gave him last week. He has some nice plants, but something is eating them all! What could it be? So I enlightened him about what rats do. He will have his own fun with traps now.

Ah life in the suburbs. Never ending fun.

No comments: