Wednesday, February 23, 2005

The Colored Lens

It suddenly dawned on me that my friend LP is turning 40 this year! I usually get a chance to see her, when I am in Boston. But I have not seen her for a while.

I can’t picture her older than when I first met her, over ten years ago. Oh, she still looked young the last time I saw her. Or maybe, as I age, she always stays the same amount younger?

And I think of my wife. When I see her, do I only see the lovely woman of 28? Will she always be that to me? I have to stop and look at her, she doesn’t seem to have changed very much, to me.

I am older, grey, some wrinkles. But she seems still…like she hasn’t aged as much. It’s like I am the older one now.

And do we do that to our friends and family? Freeze them?

A photograph in your memory,
Through the colored lens of time?

But I won’t ponder it too much.
There is a lovely woman in the next room,
One who shares our life.
One whom I still love to gaze upon.
To hold in my arms.
To keep me warm at night.

No comments: