Thursday, November 08, 2018

Voyeur of the Damned

Written 4-12-13

Not long after I started my new job, my boss approached me with a project. Knowing full well that the task was not in the SOW, but (as she said) knowing that I’m a bit of a geek; she asked if I could look at the video surveillance system. Six months before, they had the old tape system replaced by a DVR and computer. Unfortunately, no one was trained on how to use it and they could not review past video.
‘Could I please take a look at it?’

Now you all know that I have trouble refusing the polite requests of a lady. Not to mention that I was curious as to how the system worked and I wanted to show off all the things I could do.

None of that really mattered, for I had a nice ulterior motive to review the last six months of footage.
We are on the top floor of a three story building. The two floors below us are used by another company.
In talking to my coworkers, I learned that some time in the past, while they were watching the monitor; a young couple came up the emergency exit stairwell and had ‘urgent matters’ to attend to that obviously they could not wait until they got home.

So of course, when my boss asked if I wanted to tinker with the surveillance system, I stepped up to the challenge.

The nice thing about modern systems is that you can have the system scan for movement in a specific place and flag those scenes where something ‘happened.’

Unfortunately, it seems that the ‘incident’ with the young couple happened before the DVR was installed. Still, when I am chatting with one of the sweet-young-things downstairs, I can’t help but wondering what she would look like, pinned against a wall.

No comments: