Friday, November 30, 2018

October Dream

October dream.
11-1-1999

(For Carol Skeggs)

I saw her last night, again. She was different then who she is, but dreams are that way. Yes, she looked better then she probably looks in real life, doesn’t everyone look better in dreams? She was with the other one, and that was nice too.
It was one of those dreams where people were the same, but the building we were in kept changing, as did the city. First we were in Boston, then someplace on the west coast that I knew, but not home. I knew who she was when I was standing in line, even if I didn’t recognize her. At some point she turned to me and said hi and we introduced ourselves.
I won’t go into all of the details, because dreams are so hard to explain, but it was a good dream. It was especially nice to meet someone who I have always liked. Through emails and phone calls across the Atlantic, we always kept in touch. Business, but always some personal words between us.
Ten years ago, after the earthquake, she asked if I was okay. After the riots in LA and SF, she asked if I was okay. When you are thousands of miles away, with an ocean between you, you don’t know how someone is affected. You just know that something happened in their area of the world.
She was a sweetheart, that’s the impression that I always got. It’s not that other people in world that I talk to are not, it is just that she was always nice in her emails and phone calls.
So, at the end of the dream, when she gave me a hug and a kiss on the cheek, it made me feel good. Good that I had finally met this person that I always liked.
She no longer works for the company, I’ll never get to England; so it makes me feel good to have finally met her, if only in my dreams.

No comments: