Friday, June 23, 2006

Lobby Ladies

As they walk by the gate to the hotel pool, they peer at the white boys. Are they window shopping?
“Look how pale they are, they must be sick.”
“There’s a fat one, he’s an easy target.”
It’s too easy to think the worst of them, to dismiss them.

Bag-boy coined the phrase, ‘The Lobby ladies’; or maybe he got it from someone else. Others like the phrase and use it.
And it is fun to sit there in the lobby of the Cebu Marriott and watch the parade of people. As you watch, over the days, you start to see a pattern. Young, good looking Filipinas with older, less desirable, white men.
Perhaps they are married, here to visit her family. Perhaps they are coworkers? Internet pen pals?
Or perhaps just companions for the day, the night? Well paid tour guide? What sights do they show them? The sight of the site?

I have never been approached by one, but others have. They tell stories of politely declining their inquiries.
Amusing
During my last visit, I either had my wife with me or DT. They usually took a seat where they could watch the parade of people. I think they also kept the LLs at bay.

Maybe weekdays are the slow days. Regardless, I have seen only a few questionable matches. My one weekend in Cebu was pretty busy and I did not have the chance to sit and watch the parade. Perhaps this is the offseason for lone white guys?

Thursday, the manager and supervisors had a training class at the Marriott. The plan was for me to meet them in the lobby, have a drink, then go to dinner. One of them announced that Thursday night, I would have four lobby ladies to keep me company. It is fun when people have a good sense of humor.
Now, of course, I will walk through the lobby with pride. One lone guy with four good looking young women with him! Oh yeah!
And it will be better for them too. If I was there with just one of them, people might think the wrong idea,. Think less of her. But with an entourage of four, well it will be obvious that we are all friends. (or they might wonder about my size thirteen shoes!)
And besides, they will be with the Warthog.
Despite the song saying that, ‘No one ever wants to court a warthog’, some people do like them as friends.

During my whole stay there, no one ever ‘approached’ me. For that, I am glad.
Perhaps I had an unapproachable look? I didn’t make eye contact. And the nights I would quietly sip a beer in the lobby, write notes about the days' events. I suppose I did not look approachable. Or perhaps I did not look hungry? Regardless, I am glad I was left alone. I had too much to think over, too much to plan. I didn’t want to chit-chat and I sure didn’t need that kind of trouble.

No comments: