Sunday, April 16, 2006

Say Wow!

I had barely met Pipsqueak when we went out for a smoke. She asked me how long I had been married.
Twenty-two fun years.
She attacked.

There was all manner of questions about my marriage, how long we had known each other. Some of these were pretty personal and I just couldn’t figure out who put the huge chip on her shoulder.
The questions went on and I began to see where she was going.
“But don’t you get tired of the same thing?” she asked.
“No.”
“But it’s like having the same pork chop every night!”
“But Wonder Girl is never the same woman twice.”

That seemed to stop her, for what could she say?

I learned later, why she was asking the questions, why she was so hostile towards men. I understand. But I think she was asking the wrong man, to explain other men. At least other types. It always makes me wonder about the others, what they think, how they feel. Perhaps they think differently, perhaps their expectations are unrealistic.

But I guess that happens to a lot of people. They meet some cutie, hottie, stud-puppy, whatever you want to call them. And they expect that person to never change.

Everybody changes.

When I first met Wonder Girl, she was sitting at her desk in the loan department.
I remember my first thought when I saw her.
It was simply ‘Wow!’.

It wasn’t just her pretty face or her attractive figure. There was a sparkle in her eyes that told me there was intelligence behind that pretty face.
And when she smiled, there was a hint of mischief; and that smile spread up to here eyes, and they sparkled even more.

And now it is over twenty-five years later, and I still think ‘Wow!’ when I see here. Maybe it’s when I see her in shorts and a tee shirt, working in the garden. Maybe all dressed up to go out to dinner. And of course, when I catch a glimpse of her coming out of the shower, all naked and glorious!

Maybe I am lucky, for it seems that she has not changed much in all these years. Maybe I just love her so much that I can’t see the changes. I don’t care. I just love to see here. Love to hold her in my arms. Love to see her mischievous smile and the sparkle in her eyes.

I wish my friends have my luck.

No comments: