Tuesday, February 19, 2019

And so the chapter ends


Wonder-Girl and I first met Pip in June of 2003. I was sent to Cebu City, in the Philippines, to help train our new call center personal. I was to be there for two weeks and invited my sweetheart to come along. WG had never been there, so she was game. (I would be neglectful if I did not mention that my co-worker, the Daughter-Twin would also be there, from Boston.)
I found Pip to be a smart, personable young lady, with a good sense of humor. (That she was quite attractive was just icing on the cake.)
On our weekend there, Pip took us all to a resort for one day, site seeing and shopping on the next day. We became friends.
And stayed friends through phone calls and emails. When Pip left the company, we stayed in touch.
In 2008, on my last trip to the Philippines, I was able to spend one night in Manila and Pip was nice enough  to take me site seeing before my evening flight home. Needless to say, I felt I was in her debt for her hospitality.
Fast forward to now.
Several months ago, Pip mentioned that she would be in Los Angeles for a week and we messaged back and forth about getting together for dinner. When she realized how far from LA I lived, she said she would look into flying into the Bay Area. I was too excited about the prospect of seeing my friend and spending time with her. Like a said, she is smart and so much fun to hang out with. She also seemed very excited with the prospect of hanging out with her friend.
Seriously wanting to return her hospitality, when she mentioned looking for an Airbnb to stay at, I offered my guest room and bath to her. She would have done the same for me. I gave her that option and also mentioned that if her company would not cover her flight down to LA, I have lots of airline miles and I could cover her.

And from the next day on, she never responded to me.
No communication. Nothing.
And I see today that she is in Los Angeles.

Perhaps I was just too eager to see her?
Maybe she thought I was hoping for something more between us that being friends? Oh sure, she is a very attractive woman and sure, I could hope for something else; just like people in hell can hope for ice water. But come on! This is the Warty we are talking about. Never has Pip ever said anything about whether she thought I was attractive, never, ever. So why would expect any change? That would never happen.

Four years ago, after I facilitate shipping her some attack wing figures, she said.
“I shall totally owe you big time! We shall be friends in this life and the next!”
3-31-2014

Nice sentiment, but I would have just been happy to remain friends in this life.

No comments: