Sunday, September 25, 2005

Happy Now?

Bitch!

Okay, for all we know, it could have been a bastard.

Two weeks ago, we received an anonymous letter addressed to us. No name, return address, signature. Our mailing address was printed on a computer, then taped to the envelope. Pretty chicken shit.

The letter was as follows.
====
I have waited patiently for you to trim the hedge that is encroaching upon the sidewalk that surrounds your home.
Apparently, this not concern you. I am reliant upon a wheelchair due to my disability. You are in direct violation of both City, State and Federal statutes. I have a right to use the sidewalk without it being obstructed in any manner.
I strongly advise you to tend to this matter immediately. I will pursue any and all actions to see that this matter is resolved.
Thank you for your anticipated cooperation.
====

Is that a hateful, nasty letter, or what? Yes, our hedge was overgrown and we were planning to trim it back. But a nice letter, asking us politely to trim it, would have been the first order of business. If that didn’t work, well yes, you can ‘pitch a bitch’.
So we hacked the hedge back a foot and now it looks like a gnarly hedge, all full of branches and sticks that I am sure will scratch people as they go by. Well, it will look good for Halloween!
If the letter had been nice and polite, we would have felt bad for the disabled person. We would have trimmed it back and then felt good about ourselves. Now we just hate this ornery cripple.

People should realize that not everyone is aware of how something as simple as an overgrown hedge can impede someone in a wheelchair. I am fully aware that short people(95% of the population) forget that normal sized people like me(over six foot) have to constantly duck because people don’t cut there low hanging branches, hanging lamps and signs in stores the hit me in the head. Oh, and one of my favorites, ATM machines made for little children! I almost have to kneel to use them!
So I am fully aware the people go through life, thinking they are the norm and everything should be built to fit them.

No comments: