Thursday, September 01, 2005

Expectations

I watch the news of the hurricane aftermath and wonder about my area. I find it interesting on how quickly chaos can take over. Maybe it starts with ‘I need food and water.’ Soon it’s anger over the situation or simple want, and people begin to take everything.
I am sure some people wanted to stay and I have less sympathy for them. Some could not leave, they have my sympathy. But for the vast majority, there was ample time to get out. Whether people could not evacuate, or the government didn’t evacuate them; I can’t say. But there was time.

At some point, the San Andreas, or the Hayward fault will let loose. And when the shit hits the fan, there will be no warning. No time to evacuate. Just deal with it if you are alive afterward.
And everyone warns you not to expect ANY help for at least three days. Zero, nada, you are on your own!

I fully expect a week. And I have food and water for that week.

I am not sure what went wrong beforehand, down south. Why not enough people evacuated. But perhaps next time, more will leave sooner.
Unfortunately, people have to die, for others to learn lessons.

No comments: