Thursday, July 09, 2009

A piece of tail

At the end of May, the guys and I went on our annual fishing trip to Northern California. Now we always joke that there are no girls allowed, or that it is an estrogen-free zone; but the truth of the matter is, that most women just don’t want to come.
No showers for four days, pit toilets that never smell good and no shopping. Just not a girl’s idea of fun.
And that’s okay.
The camp broke into two groups. The younger, noisy guys in their twenties and the older guys who aren’t going to stay up late partying and drinking (as much). Friday afternoon was just spent getting the camp set up and since the fishing season did not open for the creek next to the camp until Saturday; we drove to another creek and practiced fishing there.
A few hours later, we got back to camp and had a nice leisurely dinner. I had caught one fish, a small 9 incher.
We had been hearing strange noises from the next campsite and as we made dinner and ate it, we watched. There were girls in the next campsite.
Not your ordinary girls, it turns out, but six twelve to fourteen-year-olds. Yes, a gaggle of giggles.
While us older guys toned it down a little, we warned the younger guys to watch their language a little. No, it did not help much.
You could hear the girls giggling long into the night. The rest of the weekend was going to be fun.
Early Saturday morning, Fishing Buddy’s wife arrived with their son(T1) and his friend(T2). And the fun really began, for they are almost fourteen.
Oh yes, the gaggle spotted them right away, for they are good looking boys. A lot of the fun was just watching the girls watch the boys, watching the girls. Oh yes, we teased the boys. ‘Go talk to them. The one in yellow looks kinda cute, and she has been watching you.’ Stuff like that. T2 said he wasn’t interested because he had a girlfriend. I asked him, if that was so, then why was he always combing his hair? He just smiled.
The outhouses and the trash cans were just passed our camp, so the gaggle of giggles had to pass us to use them.
The girls always seemed to need to use the outhouse, or they had to dump the trash. Amusing, isn’t it, how it takes four girls to throw away a bottle. Then fifteen minutes later, two other girls had to throw away a bottle.
The boys were shy, and despite us older guys teasing them and telling them what they should do; ‘after all, it’s just the weekend T2 and your girl will never know if you steal a kiss’; but also we remember being young and shy.
‘Dudes, just go over and talk to them. You don’t have to choose which one you like, they will choose for you!’ “Dudes, it’s like shooting fish in a barrel!’

Saturday morning and we start fishing the creek. Most of the good spots were filled, so I tried a few odd places with no luck. I didn’t want my line tangled with others and I like my solitude while I fish.
I found a little spot between some bushes with just enough room to cast my line. The river wasn’t running too fast, so I could cast out my line and let the salmon egg bait just bounce down the creek and flow under the bushes that hung over the water. Nice spot, because the rocks didn’t eat my bait and the bushes didn’t snag my line. Quite easy fishing.
In ten minutes, I had caught a nice twelve-inch rainbow trout. Some bait got nibbled off, then another fish on the line. No time to ponder life’s mysteries, every time my line floated to a certain spot, I got a nibble!
In an hour I had four fish and there was still a bait stealer eating the little red eggs off my hook. I stayed another hour, carefully practicing my casting, (yes, I need a lot of practice!) I finally got the little bastard, though I am sure there were more. And I was done for the day. The daily limit was five and I had five nice ones, all between ten and thirteen inches.
Now my personal best for the annual fishing trip is six and I had equaled that. I felt pretty darn good.
Better yet, when I climbed up the bank and walked back to camp, I met one of the locals who had fished that same spot earlier in the morning; he got nothing!

I didn’t catch another fish the rest of the trip, but that’s okay, I made my limit that day. Other’s in our group fished the spot and caught a few. We teased the boys the rest of the weekend and despite our prodding, they never got one of the giggles on their line. But they never did bait their hooks, nor toss in a line.
The girls will be there next year and I hope T1 & T2 come also. It is so much fun to watch the interaction between them.

No comments: