Sunday, January 30, 2005

Diaphanous Miss.

Isn’t it wonderful, IMs. I can chat with people all over the world now. See their pics, find out who they are. We can say things to each other that we would not say at work.
Most buddies are coworkers. Current and former. A bit like a will o’ the wisp, sometimes. You see them online, then they vanish.

They don’t exist just to chat with you. They chat with others. They keep to different schedules, different time zones. Some only log on at work. Some only at home. Broadband, dial-up, cell phone.

You see them, they drop off. You ask a question, they answer five minutes later. You see them, they don’t say hello. Are they waiting for you to notice them? Do they not feel like chatting tonight?

And some nights, no one is there.

Tonight I think I see Diaphanous Miss. But every time I reach out, it’s like grabbing at a mist.
I look in my hands and find nothing.

Oh there’s another! I think I’ll say…she is gone.

Oh well.

1 comment:

rich said...

you are a brilliant writer... i'm glad you're on this.