Sunday, January 17, 2016

Insatiable Nomad

11-24-15
After graduating from high school, I decided to spend my summer hitchhiking around the country. On a hot June day I was walking along a lonely stretch of highway just outside of a small town in the middle of Kansas. I heard a roar behind me, turned and put out my thumb. A red motorcycle with a black sidecar came zooming around the bend. It screeched to a halt just in front of me and the rider pointed to the sidecar. 'Nomad' was emblazoned across it in bright red script. My eyes were drawn to the obviously female figure, wonderfully dressed out in tight black leather; I hesitated. She pulled off her helmet, shook out her long black hair and gave me a mischievous smile that spoke of excitement.
 "Get in!"
I grabbed the helmet off the seat, slid my backpack off my shoulders and climbed in. "You didn't ask where I was going."
She let loose a laugh and I could feel the adrenaline surge through me. "Where ever I'm going and not even the Nomad knows where that is; but I might get you home for college by September." She laughed again as she popped on her helmet, dropped the cycle into gear and I held on for the ride of my life.

No comments: