Monday, December 28, 2009

Merry Christmas

Back in mid-November, I applied to company A. As with most resumes and applications I have filled in and sent out over the last nine months, I didn’t really expect a response. Partly because few companies acknowledge you, partly because it was different from what I had been doing for the last twenty-seven years. Different, but similar enough that it sounded interesting and possibly fun.
I was surprised to get a phone call a week later and I had a very nice phone interview with a pleasant woman. She invited me in for an in-person interview at the end of the week! I had only had one in-person interview during my long job search.
The interview went well and I liked the two people that interviewed me.
But alas, the following Monday, one of them called to say that despite how well the interview went, they found someone who was a better fit. (sigh)

The following day, a friend of mine called to say their company B was looking for an Analyst, was I interested?
Of course!
Long story short, the job matched most of what I can do and there would be new challenges. The phone and in-person interviews went well and I was quite excited. I tried to keep my enthusiasm in check, since I would have to wait two weeks for the owner to return from his buying trip. I was not worried, because of how well things went.
Then company A called up. The applicant they made an offer to withdrew their name and would I be willing to accept an offer for the job? (do bears shit in the woods?)
They asked if I could let them know in a few day. I told them I would let them know by the end of the day.
For the jobs were similar in pay and benefits. Company A was slightly better, but a little longer commute. Company A was not involved in manufacturing and had more chances for advancement.
AND, a bird in the hand is better than one in the bush. So I accepted their offer.

Hard to believe that after nine months of looking, I will soon be working and not be ‘a man of unfortunate leisure’.

Truly a nice Christmas present.

1 comment:

Lee said...

Good news! Start the New Year on a high!