Monday, October 05, 2009

I’m ready

Here are two interesting items from my dad’s collection, a 1943 copy of the Aeronautics Aircraft Spotters Handbook and a U.S. Navy Anti-aircraft Range Indicator. (made by the A.C. Gilbert Co. The same company that made Erector Sets! You wonder what toy makers did during WWII? They made toys for the military.)

Study the book. Recognize the approaching plane. Hold the Range Indicator two feet from your eye. Turn the dial until the two center wires match the wingtips. Call out the range to the gunners and watch them try to blow the bastard out of the sky.



So if those pesky Krauts ever decide to launch their He-111’s or Ju-88’s across the channel again, I’ll be ready.

I think they should be kept as a set.

1 comment:

boneman said...

with mach 1.5s flying at treetop level, best replace that book with the very best in cameras

Then again, that leaves me out because with my digital, I puch the button, and later, when it feels comfortable, the camera takes the picture.

These are a cool set, though.
Made in the day when they knew it would be valuable.