Tuesday, September 29, 2009

The Beagle at Night

Two days a week, I walk Molly the beagle by myself. So on those mornings I put on my headphones and listen to an old radio show. It works well for the show is just a half hour, as is the walk.
It’s the same opening whistle and introduction every time and I have memorized it.
I realize that almost no one knows of the show today. It is so before anyone’s time that I can steal from it. Gosh, I can cheat and be semi-clever.

So as I watch Molly as she sniffs her way along the sidewalk, investigating things unseen, I bend the old intro to fit the little dog.

I am the Beagle and I know many things, for I stalk by night.
I know many strange tails, many secrets hidden in the shadows of the shrubs and bushes in my backyard.
Yes, I know the nameless creatures that you dare not seek!

1 comment:

boneman said...

GW, you certainly are the poet!

Molly be lucky that you listen to her.
The Tails of Molly the Beagle
Sounds like a book to me!