Saturday, December 13, 2008

Looking in the Past

One of the things I have taken on is the disposition of my dads toy collection. Unfortunately, not a lot of the information was written down. What I do have are some old spreadsheets, a big box of toy collection books and Google.

Easy stuff like Tootsie Toys are found and I can figure out what they are worth. The same for Paya wind-up cars.
But the hard stuff is the really old toys;
like a cast iron, Horse Drawn Hook & Ladder.
I am sure it is from about 1909-20,
but I have found no pictures.



Then there is a Green,
Pressed Steel Delivery Truck.
It’s probably from 1920-30s and some one
repainted/refurbished it. But there were
dozens of toy makers and not enough pictures.








At other times I have incredible luck.
I have an unmarked
Pressed Steel Airplane in a Presses Steel Hanger.
I type in three words into Google and the second
link has a picture of the exact toy!
Scheibel Toy Airplane with Hanger






One down, twelve boxes of toys, or more, to catalog.

(Sigh)

4 comments:

Lee said...

It's a miracle they are still in good nick!

Lisa~ said...

I wonder if you could take the photos of the old toys to an elderly friend or to the residents of a rest home to help you identify them. You'd have to take notes pretty fast if you were showing the pictures around at the lunchroom at a rest home! What about a senior center?

Judith said...

Love your toys, GW. Well worth the job of cataloguing I should say - possibly financially but certainly in satisfaction. I'm a 'senior', but I didn't recognise the pictures, except that possibly the ladder cart would have been part of a fire engine (firetruck) kit.

I came to your website via Lee's, by the way.

GW said...

Thanks for visiting, Judith