Sunday, February 19, 2006

seduced into a change



We are working on a change of scenery in the kitchen. Going a little more retro, but with coffee accents.
We had been talking about this for some time and WG has been toying with the idea of going to some color on the walls. More than your standard ‘antique white’
All white appliances sounds good, we will replace them at our leisure. The fridge will be first. It is sixteen years old and will probably fail first.
Then YB (younger brother) and his wife gave us their mostly new white fridge. The avalanche has started.
Paint the walls a creamy gold-yellow, like the 1940 Sunbeam Mixmaster we bought a while ago and that I cleaned and overhauled. Yes, it works.
And you know, a vintage stove would look good in the kitchen too, we agreed.
And I found a slim, (hard to find) 30 inch Wedgewood stove on Craig’s List. About 1950 vintage! For a stove that old, it was in remarkably good shape and clean. Yes, under the burners will need cleaning, but we plan to do a mostly complete overhaul.
Disassemble, clean, repair, replace the insulation. Only two pieces need to be re-enameled! I figure four months of work.

In the meantime, we have the countertops to remove and replace with granite tile.

I suppose if I get weary of the work, I can look at the new coffee mug we have, it says, ‘Coffee! I’ll sleep when I am dead!’

No comments: