Saturday, November 26, 2005

Part of the story

I started this story back in June and got stuck with the kettle girl, not knowing what to do with it/her. It was supposed to be 4-5 pages. On the flight back from Boston, I added the rest of the 12 pages.
GW

A Darkness of Auntie
By GW Hogg
©6-25-05


I had been looking forward to Memorial Day weekend ever since last year. I remember the way Nikki looked, smelled, felt; when I held her in my arms and gave her a kiss. A simple kiss on the lips, that evolved in a most wondrous way. Tongues were suddenly not just for talking anymore. I remember the way she looked, as the sun went down over the ocean. Nestled in a quiet spot on the dunes, the suns orange rays added a special light to her face and her short curly brown hair. We lay behind some bushes, listening to the waves, and the sound of the foghorns.
Now, a year later, I looked forward to renewing the friendship, the special warmth one feels when you hold someone close.

The sedan was packed. We squeezed ourselves, and the last minute stuff, into the car then headed out. It was going to be a fun-filled weekend of camping and listening to music. Mom and dad were glad we all wanted to go. Glad we enjoyed the music, even if it was folk music! But my reasons for going were a little different. Sure I enjoyed hiking and exploring around the area, but girls filled most of my thoughts now.
It was crowded in the little compact. Most of you today would call it a full-sized car. Since we were not going far, we would survive. It wasn’t a long drive; over the bridge, through the city, and over the final bridge. My older sister wanted to play her guitar, but there was no room. The fact that she had a propensity to yodel in some of her songs made it more important not to let her sing. Out in the wide prairies, or in the mountains, a yodel could get nicely swallowed up. In the tight confines of a car, our ears would suffer.

My younger brother had his flashlights, tools, map-making equipment and rope ladder. He was all eager to explore the gun emplacements. Wild imaginings of manning the massive guns and blowing up Japanese warships filled his thoughts. No one would bother using those nowadays, not when you could lob an ICBM over the pole in fifteen minutes. But I know what else he was thinking. The bunkers would make good fallout shelters. Especially since the wind tends to blow towards the city.

We were all restless and eager by the time we turned off 101 and drove to the gate. We were in luck; someone was there to open it. The thin, hippie-looking guy checked our reservations and opened the gate. Then it was a slow drive down the gravel road to the parking lot.

We found a nice campsite, not far from the lot and started setting up. It’s always good to get here early, before the Friday afternoon rush. Saturday? You sleep on the hillsides!
My brother and I helped dad set up the heavy tent while mom and sis set up the food. Once that was done, I set up my small tarp and sleeping bag. I didn’t want to be in the tent, it would restrict my prowling. Plus it never got that cold, even when the fog rolled in.

Silly sister grabbed her guitar and went off in search of music. Lunatic brother went exploring. Mom and dad went for a walk on the beach. I went prowling.

When the sun began to dip towards the fog, and the foghorns began their mournful sounds, it was time to head back to camp. I had looked everywhere but found no sign of Nikki. No, we had no set meeting place, we didn’t know who was driving what car. We had just told each other in our letters, that we would try and find each other. She was pretty sure that her parents would not be driving in till Saturday. But there was always hope they could get away early.

Dinner was simple, burgers, chips, and sodas. Burgers grilled outdoors are always better, and dad was pretty good on the fire pit. Then there was chitchat about who did what that day. Silly sis had that look in her eyes and we all knew she was composing a new song. I just hoped I was not around as she stumbled her way through it for the first few times! My brother had found some guys to go exploring with and they were planning a full-scale assault on the bunkers in the morning. After that, there were the lookout posts up on the ridges.
After dinner clean up was quick and dad made sure we all had our flashlights before we went off to listen to the music.

I stopped by the center of the campground and marveled at the two stainless steel kettles and the huge propane tank next to them. It looked as if you could almost take a bath in them!
“What are you cooking?” I asked the pretty girl busy stirring the pots and gave her a smile.
“Stone soup.” She said and smiled back.
“You can really make that?” She looked really nice in just blue jeans, boots and a half laced-up tunic. The view was enticing.
“Yes. Lots of people bring stuff just to be put in the pots.”
“I would think rocks taste the same everywhere. Why would you import them?” Long brown hair and green eyes; a sort of hippie cowgirl.
“Silly we don’t really use rocks.” And then she saw my grin. “I can’t do my work, with you pulling my leg!”
“What’s the diff?” I pointed to the two pots.
“One’s vegetarian. One has meat.”
“Is it any good?”
“It’s coming along. We’re shy a few things.”
“Well, I brought my wrist-rocket. Perhaps I can get you a squirrel.”
“Oh! You wouldn’t do that, would you?”
“Naw. Not enough meat.”
“You’re terrible!”
“Thanks.”
“That wasn’t a compliment.”
“I know.”
“I only have to do this for another half hour. Wanna go for a walk later?”
“Well…look, you’re awful pretty, but there is a friend I met here last year and she arrives tomorrow. I really shouldn’t.”
“She’s your girlfriend?”
“No.”
“Well, then she has no claim on you.”
“But…”
“No buts. Be back here in half an hour and we’ll go for a walk. It’s not like I’m asking you to the Prom!”
“No, it’s not. Okay, I’ll see you in a bit. By the way, my name is Greg.” And I reached over the kettle.
She wiped her hand on her apron and shook mine. “Cindy. Nice to meet you Greg. See you in a half. And bring some salt!”
“Okay Cindy.” I waved and ambled over to the next clearing and set of picnic tables. Four guys with guitars and a gal with a banjo where busy playing, singing and laughing. There were kids around the fire pit, roasting marshmallows and singing along. Kids have it so easy at times. Sweets and a song and they are happy. My thoughts were just starting down into one of my sister’s songs. ‘Oh come on now!’ I thought to myself. ‘It’s not like you are cheating on your wife! Cindy knows there is someone else. All she did was ask you to go for a walk. What’s the harm in that?’
I walked on until I found another group singing around another fire pit. They sounded much more interesting.
“Roll me o-ver, in the clo-ver.
Roll me over, lay me down and do it again.
Now this is number three,
fancy friggin, fast and free.
Roll me over,
Lay me down
And do it again!”

Okay, this is my kind of music! I sat down and a lady handed me a cup. She first grabbed a bottle of wine, then looked at me a second time and grabbed a jug of lemon-aid.
“Thanks.”
“You’re welcome.”
“Do you know the songs?”
“Sure do! My dad has a bunch of these records.”
“Good, we need to be able to drown out the yodelers on the other side of those bushes!” And she winked at me.
“Be glad to help.”

The song came to an end and they launched into ‘A Gob is a slob’. The group soon noticed that I had changed genders on the song and they let me finish the last half, just to see if I could fix the end. I did, and there was a good round of applause.
“Nicely done young man.” The lady next to me said.

We all launched into ‘Bell Bottom trousers’ and finished that with a lot of laughter. It was time to go. I thanked them all and they told me to come back anytime.

It was a short walk back to Cindy. It was getting dark, but I could still see without the flashlight.

She was just taking off her apron when I got there.

(The story continues, but I felt that 17 pages was too much to post. At least this gives you a taste. I can send you the rest if you want. Just email me. GW)

No comments: